tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Sep 18 10:47:10 2003

Re: [tlhingan-hol] Re: tay naH

Voragh:

Krenath vestai-Veska wrote:
>na'ran, for those who haven't already spotted it, is a linguistic
>pun.  The description of the na'ran only serves as a barely-straight-faced
>continuation of the joke. [...] In Spanish, "naranja" is the world for
>"orange".

Okrand knows Spanish well - much of the source material for his Ph.D.
dissertation on Mutsun (an extinct California Costanoan language) were in
Spanish - and there are other Spanish puns in Klingon.

>You'll find references to the na'ran in such things as using "na'ran rur"
>to clarify a particular share of Doq (red/orange) which resembles the
>fruit [....] Although we know its approximate color [...]

Actually, we don't.  AFAIK Okrand has never said what color a {na'ran} is,
only that its juice is sweet.

To clarify {Doq} he has written {Doq 'ej beqpuj rur} "(it) is {Doq} and
resembles {beqpuj}" (an orange mineral [KGT p.82]) and {Doq 'ej Qaj wuS
rur} "be orange/red and resemble kradge lips" (which are "presumably a
particular shade of brown" [startrek.klingon (Feb. 1998)]).

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level