tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Sep 17 15:41:52 2003

Re: [tlhingan-hol] Re: tay naH

Krenath vestai-Veska ([email protected])

na'ran, for those who haven't already spotted it, is a linguistic pun.  The
description of the na'ran only serves as a barely-straight-faced
continuation of the joke.

You'll find references to the na'ran in such things as using "na'ran rur"
to clarify a particular share of  Doq (red/orange) which resembles the fruit.
There's also the below-mentioned KGT passage that mentions humans drinking
the juice by itself, particularly in the morning.  I'm sure Voragh could
dig up a complete listing of references to the fruit.

In Spanish, "naranja" is the world for "orange".

Although we know its approximate color and that humans enjoy it as a
breakfast juice, this is still not to say that a na'ran couldn't have a
crown like a pineapple.  Just pointing out the pun for any who might have
missed it. :)

>The closest Klingon fruit containing {vIychorgh} I can think of is the
>*naran* {na'ran}, mentioned passim in KGT (p.85):
>
>   "The closest equivalent to 'sweet' is probably {na'ran rur} ("resembles
>   a naran," a fruit whose juice is sometimes added to sauces as a contrast
>   to the other flavors.) Interestingly, many human visitors seem to really
>   enjoy the juice of the naran all by itself, particularly in the morning,
>   though Klingons find this practice most peculiar."
>
>And since Okrand didn't say anything about what a {na'ran} looks like, or
>even how big it is, who's to say that it doesn't resemble a pineapple?  <g>
>

>--
>Voragh
>Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level