tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Sep 17 15:18:27 2003

Re: tay naH

naHQun wrote:

> >> I have recently discovered an ancient Klingon Fruit Ritual,
> >> which honored the ancient Klingon God, naHQun.

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned it, but "fruit ritual" has to be {naH
tay}, like {qutluch tay} "Kut'luch Ceremony".  {tay naH} is "ritual fruit"
or "the ritual's fruit".

> >> [2]Here the assumption is made that a peb'ot
> >> has a crown, much like that of the terran pineapple.

Since we don't know what a Klingon {mIv'a'} looked like, I'm not sure that
{mIv} "helmet" wouldn't work by itself.  Of course, we don't know what
Klingon helmet looks like either!  See KGT p.58:

   "old armor included headgear of some kind apparently called a {mIv},
    which, in modern Klingon, means helmet. The word also survives in
    the word {mIv'a'} ("crown"; literally, "big helmet" or "great helmet)"

Don't forget that we have {yor} "(exterior) top":

   "The word for 'top' is {yor}. This refers to the top side or top
    face of an object, such as the top of a box or the top of a table
    or even the top of one's head. It is not the word used for 'lid'
    or 'cover' or 'cap' (as in 'lid of a jar') or removable (and
    reusable) top of a box. The word for this kind of 'top' or 'lid'
    or 'cover' is {yuvtlhe'}."  [HolQeD 8.3]

If {yor} can refer to the top of one's head, I see no reason why it can't
refer to the top of a fruit.

   peb'ot yor yIteq.
   Remove the top of the peb'ot

Or you could simply remove its leaves - {por} "leaf (of a plant)" -
assuming a {peb'ot} has any.

>jatlh DloraH:
> >KGT p93-94
> >One common dish is a torpedo-shaped fruit called peb'ot, which is soaked
> >in a chanDoq ("marinade").  The fully marinated peb'ot is called a Hurgh.
>
> >TKD
> >Hurgh - pickle (cucumber) n
>
> >Together, I would say that a peb'ot is a (or very similer to a) cucumber.
>
>Hrmm... cucumber... is there a Klingon {naH} that you would think
>would have a crown, like a pineapple?

The closest Klingon fruit containing {vIychorgh} I can think of is the
*naran* {na'ran}, mentioned passim in KGT (p.85):

   "The closest equivalent to 'sweet' is probably {na'ran rur} ("resembles
   a naran," a fruit whose juice is sometimes added to sauces as a contrast
   to the other flavors.) Interestingly, many human visitors seem to really
   enjoy the juice of the naran all by itself, particularly in the morning,
   though Klingons find this practice most peculiar."

And since Okrand didn't say anything about what a {na'ran} looks like, or
even how big it is, who's to say that it doesn't resemble a pineapple?  <g>

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level