tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Mar 27 11:24:55 2003

Re: More than one rover?

Christoph wrote:

>While reading TKD again, I noticed that on page 48/49 the example
>"nuQaw'qu'be' " is given. And although it clearly contains TWO rovers,
>pojwI' (the program) does not mark it as wrong.
>
>Does that mean then, that unlike other suffixes rovers may be used more
>than once per word? It surely would be fitting, as the two rovers (-qu'
>and -be' in this example) do not exclude each other, as the other
>suffixes do.

Correct.  As Okrand said on startrek.klingon (11/97), "Since the negative
suffixes are Rovers, they follow different rules..."  There's a sequence
showing "the roving nature of {-qu'}" in TKD on the same pages (48ff) where
varying the order of suffixes affects the meaning:

   pIHoHvIpbe'qu'
   we are NOT afraid to kill you.

   pIHoHvIpqu'be'
   we are not AFRAID to kill you.

   pIHoHqu'vIpbe'
   we are not afraid to KILL you.

Although I don't know of any examples from canon, this also applies to
other Rovers, {-Ha'} for example:

   HIyajHa'Qo'
   Do not misunderstand me!

   ghobe', jIjatlhHa'be'.
   No, I did not mis-speak ("say the wrong thing").

   qabuSHa'be'.
   I am not ignoring you.

--
Voragh