tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Mar 17 08:01:43 2003

Re: KLBC sentences 3/13/03

From: <[email protected]>

> > The answer to such a question should be the command, the order:
> >    {'enterpray' yIQaw'}
> >
> > So I'd rephrase the whole thing like we do with indirect speech:
> >    {mura' ra'wI'wI': 'enterpray' yIQaw'}
> > "my commander commands me: destroy the enterprise"
> >
> >    {'enterpray' yIQaw'; mura' ra'wI'wI'}
> > "destroy the enterprise, my commander orders me."
>
> The yI- prefix suggests a quote here and so would require a speaking verb;
> jatlh or ja'.

(The pronunciation on Star Trek V is clearly /'entepray'/.  No /r/ before
the /p/.)

Quite right.  To further explain, Marc Okrand has stated (reprinted in
HolQeD) that the only words for speaking are /jatlh/ and /ja'/.  Any
sentence can "command" or "suggest" or whatever, but when giving a quotation
you must use /jatlh/ or /ja'/.

mura' ra'wI'wI'; jatlh 'entepray' yIQaw'.
(and other variations in order)

David
Stardate 3207.6

Back to archive top level