tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Mar 14 15:28:18 2003

Re: KLBC sentences 3/13/03

Quvar BG wrote:

>ghItlh chepqu' ne':
> >Enterprise QIH chaH
> >We will destroy the Enterprise.
>
>1. there is a Klingon spelling for "Enterprise": {'enterpray'}
>2. {QIH} means "damage s.th.", {Qaw'} is "destroy"
>3. {chaH} "they" - {maH} "we"
>
>Besides, to say "we (do) it", a prefix is used. In this case {wI-}
>Now that you have all the words, try again.
>
> >Enterprise QIH chaH ra'meywI''e'
> >My orders are to destroy the Enterprise.
>
>{ra'} can only be used as a verb "order (somebody)", so it cannot take a
>noun-plural suffix. Besides, the possessive suffix you used {-wI'} is for
>nouns capable of speech, but "an order" cannot speak. And for the rest,
>see above.

chepqu' may need another hint here:  When we don't have the noun, try to
re-phrase the idea using the verb if we have it.  In this case, rephrase
"my orders are to..." as "he/she/they ordered me to..."  We have an example
of this very case in TKD:

   chay' jura'?
   What are your orders? (lit. "How do you command us?")

> >ghol'e' lo'laH vIHoy'.
> >My compliments to a worthy opponent.
>The emphasizing {-'e'} is not necessary, but not wrong either.
>The question for me is, if a "worthy opponent", is the same as {lo'laH},
>but I think that's okay.

This is an ideal place to use {-na'} "definite, definitely, true, no doubt,
real":

   gholna' vIHoy'
   I congratulate a worthy (true) opponent.

   gholna' SoHmo' vIHoy'.
   Because you're a worthy opponent, I congratulate you.

Also don't forget about {naD} "praise, commend, approve", {Ho'} "admire",
{quvmoH} "honor" and {vuv} "respect" as alternate translations for
"compliment".

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons