tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Mar 14 14:10:05 2003

Re: KLBC sentences 3/13/03

ghItlh chepqu' ne':

>Are these sentences right?

>toQDuj 'oH pagh'e'
>The Qu'vat is a Bird of Prey.

The Qu'vat, or the Pagh?  :-)

>pagh HoD jiH
>I'm pagh's Captain.

capital "I" in {jIH}

>Enterprise QIH chaH
>We will destroy the Enterprise.

No, no, and no :-(

1. there is a Klingon spelling for "Enterprise": {'enterpray'}
2. {QIH} means "damage s.th.", {Qaw'} is "destroy"
3. {chaH} "they" - {maH} "we"

Besides, to say "we (do) it", a prefix is used. In this case {wI-}
Now that you have all the words, try again.

>Enterprise QIH chaH ra'meywI''e'
>My orders are to destroy the Enterprise.

{ra'} can only be used as a verb "order (somebody)", so it cannot take a noun-pluralsuffix. Besides, the possessive
suffix you used {-wI'} is for nouns capable of speech, but "an order" cannot speak. And for the rest, see above.

>tera' toQ 'oH eagle
>The eagle is a terran bird of prey.

maj.
{tera' toQ 'oH *eagle*'e'}

>Quj'e' jIbel. - A Pleasant game.

{bel} as a verb means "be pleased", the noun is "pleasure".
You could say
{Qujmo' jIbel} "I am pleased because of the game"
or
{mubelmoH Quj} "the game pleases me"
literally, "the game causes me to be pleased."

The closest you can get to "a pleasant game" is "a game which causes to be pleased": {belmoHbogh Quj}

>ghol'e' lo'laH vIHoy'.
>My compliments to a worthy opponent.
The emphasizing {-'e'} is not necessary, but not wrong either.
The question for me is, if a "worthy opponent", is the same as {lo'laH}, but I think that's okay.

Quvar
  peghobQo' jay'.

Back to archive top level