tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Mar 02 22:28:24 2003

Re: Heavenly

jatlh Sangqar:

>chal vav puqna' jIHbej
>'ej naDev mungeHpu'
>tera'Daq juH munobpu' ghaH
>'ej qorDu' QaQqu' je
>HIDev, HItlhej, 'ej HewIjna'
>vISammeH HIqaH
>qabDaj thlop vIDabbejmeH
>Qu'wIj HIghojmoH je

typo:  <vISammeH HIqaH> should be <vISammeH HIQaH>

You kept the tune quite well,
we sung this hymn today at church
so I tried it out.   :o)

majQa'!

>Some explanations:
>{chal vav}
  > I chose this expression for God because I needed another syllable,
and
>having used {-na'} already in the line, I didn't want to use it again.
This
>is a Mormon children's song, many Mormons often use the term "Heavenly
>Father" for God.  In Finnish this can be translated "Taivaan Isd" (that
last
>'a' has an umlaut above it in case it didn't show up), with the first
word,
>"Taivaan", meaning both 'sky' and 'heaven', and being in the genitive
case,
>so the noun-noun contruction {chal vav} seemed appropriate.

Sangqar, *mormon* SoH'a'?

You'll probably be interested in the
Klingon Book of Mormon translation at:
http://james.jlcarroll.net/Star_Trek/Klingon_BoM/
if you don't already know about it.

"Father of the sky" or "Skyly Father" doesn't really give the meaning
of "God" in tlhIngan Hol.
Or at least not to me.
To get 2 syllables, how do you feel about <Qun'a'>?

(and the mailing list doesn't seem to like special characters
like your umlaut.  At least it turns out as an "a".  In my name, I have
an "n" with
a tilde over it, that gets turned into a "q".
However both the tilde, and your umlaut are intact if you read this
mailing list on the web.)

>{qabDaj thlop vIDabbejmeH}
  > Since there's no word for 'with' and I had already used {tlhej} for
'walk
>beside me', I decided to use this because of the Hebrew idiom "before
God's
>face", meaning "in God's presence".  It seems somehwat awkward, though,
>because this is most likely not a Klingon idiom.  I also considered
>{thlopDajDaq vIcheghbejmeH}, using {chegh} instead of {Dab} because
Mormons
>believe their spirits existed before their physical bodies were born,
and
>that they knew God during that period.

Just out of preference, I'd go with <tlhopDajDaq vIcheghbejmeH>
it gives a clearer meaning to those Klingons who don't know Hebrew
idioms.

And I translated the 2nd verse as follows:

chal vav puqna’ jIHbej,
‘ej tIn’a’ ‘utwI’wIj
paS tlhoy moj’a’
mu’meyDaj yaj choQaH
HIDev, HItlhej, ‘ej HewIjna’
vISsammeH HIqaH
thlopDajDaq vIcheghbejmeH
Qu’wIj HIghojmoH je

I am a child of God,
And so my needs are great;
Help me to understand his words
Before it grows too late.
Lead me, guide me, walk beside me,
Help me find the way.
Teach me all that I must do
To live with him someday.

notes:

<‘utwI’wIj>
I used <'ut> (be essential, be necessary)
to construct <'utwI'> (thing wich is essential/necessary)
and a thing which is necessary, is a need.
And now that it's a noun I can add <-wIj>

<paS tlhoy moj’a’>
That says what I need it to (I think),
but I need it to have 8 syllables.

and of course, I used your translation