tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Mar 03 01:32:29 2003

Re: Heavenly

> >chal vav puqna' jIHbej
> >'ej naDev mungeHpu'
> >tera'Daq juH munobpu' ghaH
> >'ej qorDu' QaQqu' je
> >HIDev, HItlhej, 'ej HewIjna'
> >vISammeH HIqaH
> >qabDaj thlop vIDabbejmeH
> >Qu'wIj HIghojmoH je
>

>typo:  <vISammeH HIqaH> should be <vISammeH HIQaH>

HIvqa' veqlargh!

>Sangqar, *mormon* SoH'a'?

HIja'

>You'll probably be interested in the
>Klingon Book of Mormon translation at:
>http://james.jlcarroll.net/Star_Trek/Klingon_BoM/
>if you don't already know about it.

Daj.  'ach muj {mormon paq tlhIngan}  {tlhIngan Hol mormon paq} 'oHnIS.  nuv
'oS mu' {tlhIngan}.  Hol lu'oS mu' {tlhIngan Hol}.

Du'SaQ rapDaq maHaD mughwI'vam jIH je.  vIHaD 'e' vImevpu' jIH, 'ach veng
rap vIDabtaH.  DabtaHchugh ghaH je, chaq qepHom wIqaSmoH.  vengwIj Dab latlh
thlIngan Hol jatlhwI' 'e' vISovbe'.

>"Father of the sky" or "Skyly Father" doesn't really give the meaning
>of "God" in tlhIngan Hol.
>Or at least not to me.
>To get 2 syllables, how do you feel about <Qun'a'>?

This has actually been discussed on the list before.  Most of those who
commented seem to think it would imply a "head god" like Zeus or Odin.  Of
course, given that Mormons believe the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost are three
separate personages, perhaps it's appropriate here.  But if it would imply
polytheism to a theoretical native speaker, it's probably not.

>And I translated the 2nd verse as follows:
>
>chal vav puqna’ jIHbej,
>‘ej tIn’a’ ‘utwI’wIj
>paS tlhoy moj’a’
>mu’meyDaj yaj choQaH
>HIDev, HItlhej, ‘ej HewIjna’
>vISsammeH HIqaH
>thlopDajDaq vIcheghbejmeH
>Qu’wIj HIghojmoH je
>
>I am a child of God,
>And so my needs are great;
>Help me to understand his words
>Before it grows too late.
>Lead me, guide me, walk beside me,
>Help me find the way.
>Teach me all that I must do
>To live with him someday.
>
>notes:
>
><‘utwI’wIj>
>I used <'ut> (be essential, be necessary)
>to construct <'utwI'> (thing wich is essential/necessary)
>and a thing which is necessary, is a need.
>And now that it's a noun I can add <-wIj>

As I recall, {tIn} refers to physical size, and {Dun} wouldn't work here,
either.  I did a little recasting and came up with these possibilities:

'ej QaH munobnISlu'

or

'ej jIH muQaHnISlu'

><paS tlhoy moj’a’>
>That says what I need it to (I think),
>but I need it to have 8 syllables.

{tlhoy paSchoHpa'} (before it begins to be overly late), I think, is the
best way to say this, although there is also the idionatic expression
{pel'aQDaj ghorpa'} (literally, before it breaks its shell}.  I would render
those lines as follows:

vaj tlhoy paSchoHpa' mu'meyDaj
vIyajchu'meH HIQaH

>~naHQun