tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Mar 01 09:00:35 2003

Re: Heavenly

jatlh naHQun:

>Fitting the rhythm is important to me,
>but my notes on the subject are elsewhere at the time.
>But I'm rather curious on what your idea is...

chal vav puqna' jIHbej
'ej naDev mungeHpu'
tera'Daq juH munobpu' ghaH
'ej qorDu' QaQqu' je
HIDev, HItlhej, 'ej HewIjna'
vISammeH HIqaH
qabDaj thlop vIDabbejmeH
Qu'wIj HIghojmoH je

I am a child of God
And he has sent me here
Has given me an earthly home
And parents kind and dear
Lead me guide me walk beside me
Help me find the way
Teach me all that I must do
To live with him someday

Some explanations:
{chal vav}
   I chose this expression for God because I needed another syllable, and
having used {-na'} already in the line, I didn't want to use it again.  This
is a Mormon children's song, mand Mormons often use the term "Heavenly
Father" for God.  In Finnish this can be translated "Taivaan Isä" (that last
'a' has an umlaut above it in case it didn't show up), with the first word,
"Taivaan", meaning both 'sky' and 'heaven', and being in the genitive case,
so the noun-noun contruction {chal vav} seemed appropriate.

{qabDaj thlop vIDabbejmeH}
   Since there's no word for 'with' and I had already used {tlhej} for 'walk
beside me', I decided to use this because of the Hebrew idiom "before God's
face", meaning "in God's presence".  It seems somehwat awkward, though,
because this is most likely not a Klingon idiom.  I also considered
{thlopDajDaq vIcheghbejmeH}, using {chegh} instead of {Dab} because Mormons
believe their spirits existed before their physical bodies were born, and
that they knew God during that period.

Suggestions/comments/corrections welcome.

Sangqar