tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Mar 01 14:37:05 2003

Re: New Member/Syll... correction

ja' qeyS:
>I never SPEAK Klingon so I wouldn't know, but I expected
>either a Glottal Stop or some kind of assimilation where a
>noun with final vowel is followed by the {oy} suffix.

Assimilation is nearly unknown in Klingon.  The only example we have is
where a trailing {n} or {ng} has apparently been dropped when forming a
compound with {ngan}:
  {vulqan} + {ngan} -> {vulqangan}
  {orghen} + {ngan} -> {orghengan}

There is absolutely no reason to expect vowel assimilation.  Klingon
phonology avoids abutted vowels quite effectively.

>That
>the final vowel and the /oy/ diphthong are turned into a new
>sound (diphthong or triphthong).

{oy} in the Klingon endearment suffix is not a diphthong.  The Klingon {y}
there is a consonant.

>the name Mara could become /mara-oy/ --> /maroy/ in fast
>speech perhaps. I don't know. It just seems more natural
>than inserting a glottal stop or a /gh/, although a /w/
>doesn't seem that weird.

It could perhaps end up being pronounced that way, but based on other
comments in KGT about "lazy speech" I suspect it would be considered
substandard.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level