tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Mar 01 11:32:32 2003

RE: My name

>> Hebrew *mi kha 'El* which actually means "who is like God (El)"

ja' DloraH:
>Is the Hebrew in question form?  Or is that english "who" more like
>    Qun rurbogh nuv'e'

It's not the latter.  As I understand it, the Hebrew phrase isn't
describing the person; it's celebrating God's uniqueness.

Questions and "exclamatory" statements in Hebrew are not easily
distinguished.  "How good!" and "How good?" are both "ma tov".  {Dunqu'}
fits the first, but we don't really have an effective tool in Klingon for
asking about the degree of a quality.  {X-mo', nuq rur?} is as close to a
formulaic translation as I can get.

But now the issue becomes trying to translate "Who is like God!"

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level