tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Mar 04 14:13:55 2003

RE: My name

Voragh:
> >> Hebrew *mi kha 'El* which actually means "who is like God (El)?"

DloraH:
> >Is the Hebrew in question form?  Or is that english "who" more like
> >Qun rurbogh nuv'e'

ghuchu'wI':
>It's not the latter.  As I understand it, the Hebrew phrase isn't
>describing the person; it's celebrating God's uniqueness.

That's right.  Hebrew names are often statements about God.  E.g.:

Daniel  "God (El) is my judge"
Elazar  "God (El) has helped"
Natanel (Nathaniel) "God (El) has given"
Raphael "God (El) has healed"
Shmuel (Samuel) "God (El) has heard"

Yoel (Joel) "The LORD (YHWH) is God"
Yonatan (Jonathan) "God (YHWH) has given"

BTW, Micah - "Who is like the LORD?" (mi kha YAH [YHWH]) - is a variant of
Michael.  Often *yah/yo* replace *el* in these names - e.g.
Elchanan/Yochanan "God is gracious"; Yonatan/Elnatan "God has given", etc.

>But now the issue becomes trying to translate "Who is like God!"

That's easy:

   Qun rur 'Iv?
   Who resembles god?

   joH'a' rur 'Iv?
   Who resembles the LORD?

Not that either of these works as a name in Klingon.  But they do work as
an explanation.  E.g.:

   nuQ 'oS tera'ngan ponglIj'e'?
   What does your Terran name mean?

   <<Qun rur 'Iv>> 'oS <<Michael>>'e'.
   "Michael" means "Who is like god?"

If Michael wants to Klingonize his English name, he could transcribe it as
{mayqel} (as Okrand has done) or, better, try to make it look a wee bit
more "alien" - e.g. M'kel: {mIq'el}, {mIQ'el}, {mI'qel}, mI'Qel}, etc.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level