tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Dec 30 16:17:37 2003

Re: KLBC boghmo' 'IHrIStoS malop

Philip:
> > 'IHrIStoS
> > Christ

ngabwI' BG:
><pause BG> I'm guessing that you were going for "christos", Greek for
>"savior", and the basis for His name in English.

Actually, the title *christos* means "anointed (one)" and is a translation
of Hebrew *mashiakh* IIRC.  Doing a quick Google search I found:

"The extreme national consciousness of Jewish people places strong belief
in the divinity of anointed kings, and even after the Hebrew monarchy had
fallen, led them to expect a Messianic (anointed) ruler who would restore
the kingship and its autocratic power. What is Messiah? The word "Messiah"
simply means "anointed," as does the word "Christ" -- Christ, or Christos
being the Greek translation, while Messias is the Hebrew. In former days,
those of special assignment were anointed in token of their initiation into
high office. Kings, high priests, and sometimes prophets were anointed.
Saul, David, Solomon and Joash received the royal unction; Aaron and his
sons received the sacerdotal of the priesthood; and God Himself ordered
Elijah to give Elisha the prophetic unction. Therefore, the term Messiah,
Christ, or "Anointed" was given to kings, and also to certain patriarchs
and
prophets."  <http://www.holyorderofmans.org/Jesus-of-Nazareth/06-anointed.htm>

Thus, if you want to translate "Christ", you would use the verb {ngoH}
"smear, paint using fingers" which is the closest I can find to the idea:
*{ngoHlu'wI'} "one who is smeared".  In this case, a literal translation is
probably more confusing than anything, although my notes show that the
KLI's Klingon Bible Translation Project (KBTP) does, indeed, use this for
"the Christ".

>                                                Since the "kr" consonant
>cluster violates Klingon phonology, and is at the same time common in
>on-screen Klingon names, MO has given us a work-around. He has used {Q} to
>indicate this:
>   {QaS} "Kras"
>   {Qel} "Krell"
>   {Qugh} "Kruge"
>   {valQIS} "Valkris"
>(All in TKD, pg 58)
>So you could use {QIStoS} for this purpose.

FYI: *{QISmaS} is sometimes used here on the List for "Christmas" -
particularly in holiday greetings.

You could go yet another way and render his given name instead of his
title:  Jesus (German, English) < Iesus (Greek) < Yeshu (Aramaic/Modern
Hebrew) < Yeshu'a (Old Aramaic?) < Yehoshu'a (Biblical Hebrew) = *{yeSuS},
*{yeSu'a(')}, *{yeSu}, etc.

>Another possibility: you could say something like {toDwI'ma'} "Our Savior".

Another Christmas greeting I've seen more than once is {toDwI'ma' qoS
yItIv}, at least between Christians.  (Not being one, I generally use the
all-purpose {yupma'lIj yItIv}. <g>)

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons