tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Dec 30 14:49:45 2003

Re: Greeting and Question

Christian Einfeldt ([email protected])

On Tuesday 30 December 2003 11:34, Bill Johnson wrote:
> I'm new to the list. I received the Klingon dictionary for
> Christmas, and was excited to start learning the language.
>
> My first translation attempt is to translate my internet handle,
> Zombardier.
>
> Zombardier is a play on words, a combination of Zombie and
> Bombardier. An undead bombardier.
>
> The closest thing I found to bombardier was baHwI' the Klingon word
> for gunner.
>
> My first thought was immortal gunner: baHwI' jub
> I figured I could find something closer.
>
> My next idea was to use gunner and living corpse, but when looking
> up the proper syntax to turn yln (live) into 'living' I came across
> the -qa' suffix, which I believe means the verb was doing something,
> then wasn't, but now is again.
>
> My final result for Zombardier is:
>
> baHwI' ylnqa'
>
> Which, if I'm translating correctly, would be: Gunner who was once
> living, then stopped, and now lives again.

I'm a new Klingonist, and I couldn't offer any advice with regard to
the linguistic merits of your choice, but I do think that your name
choice is good, because it is funny as heck in English, and a great
story, too.

> Is this correct? Any help, advice and input would be greatly
> apprciated.
>
> -- Zombardier
> -- baHwI' ylnqa'

> Worried about inbox overload? Get MSN Extra Storage now!
> http://join.msn.com/?PAGE=features/es

Back to archive top level