tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Sep 13 12:03:33 1998

Re: FAQ pong (v) (was re:verbs of saying)

My. Some quotes never die.

On Tue, 1 Sep 1998 09:52:02 -0700 (PDT) qe'San - Jon Brown
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Am I correct?? (see below quote)
>               ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> (charghwI', Sun, 14 May 95)
>
>      We don't really know how to handle verbs like pong, since
>      they require two objects. The subject is the one who is naming
>      or calling. One object is the person being named and the other
>      object is the name. The closest I can come to using this verb is
>      something like charghwI' mupong tlhInganpu'. Still, this is
>      awkward and doesn't work very well when you try to introduce
>      a friend. (Just try it.) "You can call my friend 'Holtej'." Most
>      people fall back to using the noun form. jupwI' pong 'oH
>      Holtej'e'.

We have subsequently gotten canon which shows that the entity
being named is treated as an indirect object. The example
explicitly follows the description you have chosen below and if
combined with the rule about first or second person indirect
objects being referred to by the verb's prefix, the example I
gave long ago (guessing) is also likely correct.