tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Sep 09 11:15:15 1998

RE: KLBC - chetvI' yIHuvmoH

lab Voragh:

> : ja' pagh:
> : >> not nISwI' tIH vIQeqHa' jIH'e'! jeghlaHpa' jaghla'
> : >> bong may'DujDaj Qaw' 'Iv?
> : >> "It is *I* who has never mis-aimed a disruptor beam! Who
> : >> accidentally destroyed the enemy commander's battle cruiser
> : >> before he could surrender?"
> :
> : >Small typo: <jagh la'>. I also suspect you wanted <ra'wI'>
> : >for commander. See the KGT section on military ranks for the
> : >distinction.
> :
> : TKD page 64
> : ja'chuqmeH rojHom neH jaghla'
> : "The enemy commander wishes a truce (in order) to confer."
> :
> : TKD page 65
> : jaghla'  "enemy commander"
> :
> : I wondered when I was looking through the dictionary if
> : these two examples were typos.  Especially since /jaghla'/
> : as a single word was not in the dictionary section.  But
> : the same typo twice?  Is this really an
> : acknowledged mistake?
> :
> : - tuv'el
>
> The mistake is pagh's, though he can be excused if {jaghla'}
> doesn't appear in the glossary.  Did you check both the
> Klingon-English as well as English-Klingon side?  There are a
> few others (look at charghwI's post-TKD vocabulary list at
> the KLI web site).  But since Okrand used it twice, it's kosher.
>
> Not that {jagh la'} is wrong: "the enemy Commander" (the enemy
> officer wearing Commander's insignia) vs. "the enemy commander"
> (the person in charge of the enemy troops, whatever his/her rank).
> As pagh, mentioned, {jagh ra'wI'} also works for the latter.  Being
> a warrior culture, I'm not surprised that Klingons have a special
> word for the leader of the opposition forces.
>
> Hmmm... I wonder if {jaghla'} can be used in a political context
> for the leader of the opposition party?  Assuming, of course,
> Klingons have ever had organized political parties.

The mistake is indeed mine, although I refuse to feel guilty about it.
The word does not appear in either side of the TKD glossary or anywhere
in the addendum, or on the new word list for that matter. It appears in
my dictionary now, though. Bonus points to tuv'el for discovering a "new
word" that's at least thirteen years old.

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level