tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Sep 09 09:19:46 1998

RE: KLBC - chetvI' yIHuvmoH

: ja' pagh:
: >> not nISwI' tIH vIQeqHa' jIH'e'! jeghlaHpa' jaghla'
: >> bong may'DujDaj Qaw' 'Iv?
: >> "It is *I* who has never mis-aimed a disruptor beam! Who
: >> accidentally destroyed the enemy commander's battle cruiser
: >> before he could surrender?"
:
: >Small typo: <jagh la'>. I also suspect you wanted <ra'wI'> for commander.
: >See the KGT section on military ranks for the distinction.
:
: TKD page 64
: ja'chuqmeH rojHom neH jaghla'
: "The enemy commander wishes a truce (in order) to confer."
:
: TKD page 65
: jaghla'  "enemy commander"
:
: I wondered when I was looking through the dictionary if these two examples
: were typos.  Especially since /jaghla'/ as a single word was not in the
: dictionary section.  But the same typo twice?  Is this really an
: acknowledged mistake?
:
: - tuv'el

The mistake is pagh's, though he can be excused if {jaghla'} doesn't appear
in the glossary.  Did you check both the Klingon-English as well as
English-Klingon side?  There are a few others (look at charghwI's post-TKD
vocabulary list at the KLI web site).  But since Okrand used it twice, it's
kosher.

Not that {jagh la'} is wrong: "the enemy Commander" (the enemy officer
wearing Commander's insignia) vs. "the enemy commander" (the person in
charge of the enemy troops, whatever his/her rank).  As pagh mentioned,
{jagh ra'wI'} also works for the latter.  Being a warrior culture, I'm not
surprised that Klingons have a special word for the leader of the opposition
forces.

Hmmm... I wonder if {jaghla'} can be used in a political context for the
leader of the opposition party?  Assuming, of course, Klingons have ever had
organized political parties.

--
Voragh                           "Grammatici certant et adhuc sub judice
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons     lis est."         Horace (Ars Poetica)

Back to archive top level