tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Sep 02 14:31:38 1998

Re: New reader

: ---Steven Boozer wrote:
:>: I just wanted to introduce myselve. I've been trying to learn tlhIngan
:>: Hol by reading Marc Okrand's book, but without examples and corrections
:>: from others it's not so eazy. Trerefore i'll be reading your discussions
:>: to learn and i'm hoping to participate soon.
:>:
:>: GrTnJs Peerke (not Fruit),
:>
:> If by "Okrand's book" you just mean The Klingon Dictionary, you're
:> right you do need to get some supplementary materials.
:
: I don't agree.  I think the beginner can do a fine job of learning the
: basics of the language and simple communication with TKD alone.
: Certainly be aware that there is more stuff you can treat yourself
: with later, but don't feel obliged to get it before you have a chance
: of understanding.

That's certainly how most *<ngo'wI'pu'> did it.  But as I read Peerke's
request, s/he is asking for something with more examples of Klingon to study
in addition to the Dictionary.  TKW has the the proverbs nicely written out
so you can look up the vocabulary in TKD.

: I consider KGT the next best thing to get after TKD, but you certainly
: don't need it: I became BG before I had read it!  Next on my list
: comes either cassete tape if you want to speak the language aloud.

Actually, I *started* Klingon with CK, which I first saw in an audiotape
mail-order catalogue, bought it and became intrigued with the language.  It
was only after reading the blurb on the cassette box about Marc Okrand that
I immediately special-ordered TKD at my local bookstore.  While I waited for
TKD to arrive (it took 3-4 weeks), I amused myself by transcribing the tape
and trying to figure out the grammar from Okrand's narration.  I then
checked my transcription and vocabulary list against TKD later.  Since I've
played with exotic languages all my life, this was fun but I don't recommend
starting without TKD to others.

: Qov - FORMER Beginners' Grammarian

BTW, I've been thinking about your new .signature.  This may be a good place
to use {'utlh}:

  There is a second term for "officer", but it is not frequently used.
  As is well known, it is considered the duty of officers on Klingon
  ships to assassinate their immediate superior if the higher-ranking
  officer has been judged unfit to serve, perhaps as a consequence of
  neglecting his or her duty, demonstrating cowardice, or behaving
  dishonorably. This practice extends even to the captain of the ship.
  As a result, there are not many officers who end their service to the
  Empire by simply stepping down or retiring. There are some, however,
  and the word {'utlh} is used to refer to an officer of this type.
  Perhaps "officer emeritus" is an appropriate translation." (KGT 50f)

toH... BG 'utlh SoH.  qep'a' vaghDIchDaq DuchotnISbe'mo' pagh vaj maDo'bej!

--
Voragh                           "Grammatici certant et adhuc sub judice
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons     lis est."         Horace (Ars Poetica)

Back to archive top level