tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Sep 02 13:01:39 1998

Re: New reader

---Steven Boozer  wrote:

> : I just wanted to introduce myselve. I've been trying to learn
tlhIngan Hol
> : by reading Marc Okrand's book, but without examples and
corrections from
> : others it's not so eazy. Trerefore i'll be reading your
discussions to
> : learn and i'm hoping to participate soon.
> :
> : GrTnJs Peerke (not Fruit),
>
> If by "Okrand's book" you just mean The Klingon Dictionary, you're
right:
> you do need to get some supplementary materials.

I don't agree.  I think the beginner can do a fine job of learning the
basics of the language and simple communication with TKD alone.
Certainly be aware that there is more stuff you can treat yourself
with later, but don't feel obliged to get it before you have a chance
of understanding.

I consider KGT the next best thing to get after TKD, but you certainly
don't need it: I became BG before I had read it!  Next on my list
comes either cassete tape if you want to speak the language aloud.
==

Qov - FORMER Beginners' Grammarian
"1999 is the penultimate year of the 20th century."