tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Sep 02 14:20:10 1998

RE: Klingon Time

lab Denise:

>NuQneH,
>    I have been reading off & on and this is my first post.
>I had a question, how would time be measured on Klinzhai,
>if at all?

>QaplaH,
>Denise.

Welcome to the list, Denise. My name is pagh, and I am the current
Beginners' Grammarian on the list. It's my job to help beginners learn
Klingon. Whenever you want help with a post, just put KLBC in the
subject line to mark it for my attention and I will reply.

I think several other people have answered the time questions, so I
won't go into that, but I will make two small corrections to your
Klingon. You started your message with <NuQneH>. This is actually
spelled <nuqneH>. In the writing system we use, we don't capitalize
letters at the beginning of sentences, names, etc. - we just use the
letters we have. Some Klingon letters like <I>, <S>, and <D> are only
written as capitals, and some are only written as lower case. The
Klingon <Q> and <q> are different letters, just like "r" and "t" are
different in English.

Also, your <QaplaH> should be spelled <Qapla'>. This word gets used a
lot on TV, and is usually mispronounced, so it's easy to get confused.

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level