tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Sep 02 11:57:41 1998

Re: New reader

: I just wanted to introduce myselve. I've been trying to learn tlhIngan Hol
: by reading Marc Okrand's book, but without examples and corrections from
: others it's not so eazy. Trerefore i'll be reading your discussions to
: learn and i'm hoping to participate soon.
:
: GrTnJs Peerke (not Fruit),

If by "Okrand's book" you just mean The Klingon Dictionary, you're right:
you do need to get some supplementary materials.  If you can't find them
locally, you can order them from the Klingon Language Institute's web page
for about US$11 each.  I recommend starting with The Klingon Way, since it
consists of proverbs in tlhIngan Hol, followed by translations and
discussions, with examples, of the particular "virtue" addressed by each
proverb.  Here's the blurb from the KLI FAQ:

  The Klingon Way (TKW)
  ISBN: 0-671-53755-5
  This book from Marc Okrand includes indispensable Klingon proverbs,
  sprinkled with new words and sentence-constructions. It's sometimes
  called The Klingon Book of Virtue, which was its working title, so don't
  be confused by misinformed bookstores. A very useful book for someone
  who wants to be current with Klingon sayings.

After you've analyzed the grammar of the proverbs in TKW, you might then
want to analyze the two audiotapes:

  Conversational Klingon (CK)
  ISBN:0-671-79739-5
  The first audio-tape teaching the Warrior's Tongue. Hear Klingon spoken
  by its inventor, and learn useful phrases and words to use when dealing
  with Klingon-speakers.

  Power Klingon (PK)
  ISBN 0-671-87975-8
  Another tape from the Source. Power Klingon contains more phrases
  and lines to use in Klingon. Learn classic Klingon jokes, insults, toasts,
  and more.

If your budget is limited, start with Conversational Klingon.  Depending on
your ear, it may not be easy, and you'll always need to check your
transcription against the glossary and grammar in TKD to ensure your version
makes sense.  But by the time you finish, you'll have an excellent knowledge
of Klingon grammar.  And no - before you ask - I won't send you my own
transcripts, but I am willing to go over the tricky points with you.  It
will take longer this way, but you'll learn more.  Most Klingonists here
have transcribed the tapes themselves.  Consider it a rite du passage or, in
militaristic terms, a form of "basic training".

Above all, do take advantage of our brand new Beginning Grammarian, pagh.
Start with posting a few simple ORIGINAL sentences of your own for feedback.
(Make sure to include an DIvI' Hol translation of what you were trying to
say.)

Welcome to the List.  tlhIngan Hol jabbI'IDghom DatIvjaj!

--
Voragh                           "Grammatici certant et adhuc sub judice
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons     lis est."         Horace (Ars Poetica)

Back to archive top level