tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Oct 28 17:18:09 1998

RE: Death to the opposition

lab Voragh:

> : use the suffix <-jaj> on the verb <Hegh>. You also
> : need the proper suffix on <jagh>, and that suffix
> : depends on who the opposition is. If it is our
> : opposition, the suffix should be <-ma'>. If you are
> : speaking to a group, and wishing death to their
> : opposition (you would say "your opposition"), the
> : suffix should be <-ra'>.
>
> Just how many enemies do you have?  Unless there are more
> than you can keep track of, you don't really "need the
> proper suffix on <jagh>".  Surely it will be clear from
> the context which enemy you mean!  No one - not even a
> Klingon - just walks into a room and shouts "Death to the
> opposition!" for no reason.
>
> : Heghjaj jaghma'
>
> <Heghjaj jagh!> is simpler and has the added advantage of
> being suitable for all occasions.

The oringinal post had <-DI> on <jagh>, and I told the poster, correctly,
that he needed the proper suffix. I just did not stop to think that the
proper suffix, in this case, may well be no suffix at all.

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level