tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Oct 28 17:19:37 1998

RE: jab

lab SIHwI':

> pagh -
>
> You mentioned in my <Halloween> post about finding a use for
> the verb <jab>. How about this one?
>
> On Earth, you are in a restaurant (not necessarily a GOOD
> restaurant), and the waiter/waitress has not taken your order
> yet, and you are impatient, you may yell something like "Hey,
> how about a little service here?!!!"
>
> I can imagine a Klingon doing the same thing, pointing to the
> waiter/waitress, and yelling <HIjab!!!>
>
> What do you think?

maj. In Conversational Klingon, Okrand tells us a common way to get the
attention of a Klingon waiter is to yell <jabwI'!>. At many points in the
meal, <HIjab!> would be perfectly appropriate. Of course, if you are
speaking for your dining companions as well, it should be <ghojab!>.

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level