tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Oct 27 13:32:23 1998

RE: Death to the opposition

lab maQmIgh:

> Is this correct at all??
>
> Hegh jaghDI

Not too bad. Since you are expressing a wish or desire, similar to "may your
tongue fall out of your head" or "may tribbles nest in your kitchen", you
should use the suffix <-jaj> on the verb <Hegh>. You also need the proper
suffix on <jagh>, and that suffix depends on who the opposition is. If it is
our opposition, the suffix should be <-ma'>. If you are speaking to a group,
and wishing death to their opposition (you would say "your opposition"), the
suffix should be <-ra'>.

If the opposition is a group, which is likely, you could also add the suffix
<-pu'>, but since plurals are never necessary, I'm not going to use one.

Heghjaj jaghma'

Of course, this is the most literal translation. If I were making up an
original sentence to convey this sentiment, it would be <jaghma' DIHoH>, or
if the context were clear enough simply <DIHoH>.

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level