tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Oct 19 16:10:36 1998

RE: KLBC (Band #3)

SIHwI'vaD jang charghwI':
> majQa'!

lab SIHwI':
> charghwI', QaHlIjvaD qatlho'

This is an Englishism - "I thank you for your help". The English "for" is
used a lot more broadly than the Klingon <-vaD>. The Klingon reads something
like "Your help benefits because of my thanking you." What you really want
is "I thank you because you helped me".

> vInIDqa'
>
> yIttaHvIS QoQ chu'bogh ghom'e' tu'lu'.
> ghomvamvaD jeSchoH puqwI'.
> javHu' 'ov.
> 'ovtaHvIS SIS.
> muD wISIQ.
> (DaHjaj 'oy'taH HughwIj!).
> 'ach javHu' 'ovtaHvIS batlh much 'ej jaj wItIvqu'.
>
> DaH lugh'a'?

I mostly agree with charghwI' - well done. I do have one comment (probably
for charghwI', since he suggested the sentence) about the first sentence -
<yIttaHvIS QoQ chu'bogh ghom'e' tu'lu'>. It looks an awful lot like
<yIttaHvIS> is modifying the <-bogh> clause. I don't know if this even works
grammatically, but I do know that it is difficult to understand. I would
suggest breaking this up into two smaller sentences.

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level