tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Oct 19 16:27:40 1998

Re: names and "to be" again (was Re: KLBC)

ghItlh ghunchu'wI'
>>It sounds strange to us because by convention, we don't put
>>articles in front of proper names, but that's not always the
>>case in all languages. La Paris, par example.
>
>To the best of my knowledge, one might call the city itself "La Paris",
>but the name is always just "Paris".  I welcome corrections from anyone
>with more authoritative knowledge than mine.

I have never studied French, but in extremely colloquial German, the
definite article is used with names of people.  Zum Beispiel, "Der Manfred
soll reinkommen."  (This might sound artificial to native speakers; I have
never spoken for an extended period of time with a real German.)

Dubejbej loDnI''a'
qoror

Back to archive top level