tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Oct 15 13:46:52 1998

The "spirit" of the season

> ja' "Bryan Potratz":
> >BTW:  lomqa' is "Ghost" - straight out of my True Copy of Hamlet.
> >Ghost=Spook, another convenient paraphrase?
>
> Hamlet should not be taken as authoritative.  There's some speculative
> grammar in it that we now know is incorrect, and there are more than a
> couple of "invented" terms like {lomqa'} that don't appear in any of
> the dictionaries.
>
> -- ghunchu'wI'

KSRP didn't need to invent *{lomqa'}, we already had {QIb} "shadow"
("shade" is
an English variant, particularly WRT ghosts) and {qa'} "spirit".  Assuming,
that is, that Klingons even believe in ghosts, and that their version would in
any way resemble our own.

What did Worf say happened to Jadzia's spirit in the last DS9 "Shadows and
Symbols", since it didn't enter Sto'Vo'Kor?  She didn't die dishonorably
and so
would not have gone to Gre'thor, just that she didn't die by an enemy's
hand in
combat.

For that matter, is Sto'Vo'Kor and Gre'thor *only* for warriors?  What happens
to the spirits of everyone else?  Klingon warriors probably couldn't care
less,
but do these civilian spirits just wander about?  Are they just lost, like
Vulcan katras that are not preserved in the Hall of Ancient Thought?

Klingon statements about the {qa'}:

  SoHDaq qeylIS qa' yInjaj!
  May the spirit of Kahless live within you! PK

  "You truly have the spirit of Kah'less within you!"
  (Martok to Worf in DS9 "By Inferno's Light")

  qa' wIje'meH maSuv.
  We fight to enrich the spirit. TKW

  HeghDI' SuvwI' nargh SuvwI' qa'
  When a warrior dies, his spirit escapes. TKW

  narghbe'chugh SuvwI' qa' taH may'
  If the warrior's spirit has not escaped, the battle is still going
   on. TKW

  ghe'torvo' narghDI' qa'pu'
  when spirits escape from Gre'thor
  (idiom: to speak of an impossibility) KGT

  qaSDI' nenghep, qa' patlh chu' chav tlhIngan SuvwI'
  The Age of Ascension marks a new level of spiritual attainment by a
   Klingon warrior. S9

  SuvwI' qa' patlh veb chavlaHmeH tlhIngan lo'chu' chaH. toDujDaj toblu'
  [They] use the devices [painstiks] to inflict pain in a manner which
   will allow the Klingon to attain a higher state of spirituality as a
   warrior, proving his mettle. S32

Just something to think about during this Halloween season.

 Voragh
"Grammatici certant et adhuc sub judice
 Ca'Non Master of the Klingons                              lis est."
       Horace (Ars Poetica)

Back to archive top level