tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Oct 14 16:46:12 1998

Re: relative clause attempt

Just to make this a little more accurate and include a more
common case:

On Wed, 14 Oct 1998 14:44:56 -0700 (PDT) charghwI' wrote:

> 2. There are two different kinds of relative clauses in
> English...

> When the relative pronoun is neuter, we use two different
> pronouns to indicate which one:
>
> A: There are several glasses on the table. Only one is blue. It
> contains a message. "The glass that is blue contains a message."

The whole reason I tell you the glass is blue is to tell you
which glass has the message.

> B: There are several glasses. A couple of them are blue. "The
> glass, which is blue, contains a message."

The B: example would also be the case if there were only one
glass and it happened to be blue. I point to a table and it has
one glass on it and that glass is blue. "The glass, which is
blue, contains a message." Telling you that the glass is blue
tells you something additional about the glass, besides that it
contains a message, but it does not identify the glass. Knowing
that it is blue doesn't pick it out of a field of non-blue
glasses.

charghwI' 'utlh

Back to archive top level