tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Oct 14 16:34:13 1998

Re: KLBC - QInvam yIlaD! QInvam yIlaD!

On Tue, 13 Oct 1998 18:23:25 -0700 (PDT) [email protected] wrote:

> Hoch tlhInganmeyvaD je' tlhIngan Hol lujatlhtaH yoqmeyvaD lI' QInvam.

The {je} should not have a glottal stop after it, and it should
follow the nouns it joins, not come between them. Also,
{lujatlhtaH} needs a {-bogh} on it to make it a relative clause
("people who speak Klingon"). And while you are at it, it
clarifies that relative clause if you point out the head noun
with {-'e'} so we know you are talking about "people who speak
Klingon language" and not "Klingon language, which is spoken by
people". Meanwhile, since it already has {-vaD} on it, it can't
take {-'e'}, so... never mind.

Combine all this and you get:

Hoch tlhInganvaD tlhIngan Hol lujatlhtaHbogh yoqmeyvaD je lI'
QInvam.

Notice that you came remarkably close to this. Good job.

> DaH tlhIngan Hol vIjatlhlaH.

To match your English written below, replace {DaH} with {tugh}.
Other than that, it's fine.

> chu' mebqoq jIH ghomqoqlIj choSuq 'ach jIqeqtaHmeH
> tlhIngan Hol vIghoj.

You got your clauses reversed when you decided to use {-meH}.
You are practicing in order to learn. You are not learning in
order to practice. Everything before {'ach} is scrambled.

The group is benefitting by the addition of the guest, so the
group is the indirect object. {-vaD} would be a good idea here.
If you do mean to say "your so-called group" is doing the
acquiring, then {cho-} is the wrong prefix. That's third person
singular subject. And since it is the subject, it follows the
verb. And your English doesn't say anything that justifies your
use of {jIH}. Also realize the difference in meaning between
{chu' mebqoq} and {mebqoq chu'}. The first one is a sentence.
The other is a noun with an adjective describing it.

Rather than rebuild this for you, I'll suggest that you look at
these pointers and try again. I think you'd learn more that way.

> This message is useful for all Klingons and people that speak Klingon. Soon I
> will be able to speak Klingon. You have acquired a new "guest" to your
> "group", but I am still practicing in order to learn Klingon.
>
> In the cases of {lI' QInvam} and {mebqoq}, I couldn't find words that better
> suited it.

They work for me. I'm not sure why you are using {-qoq} on
{meb}, but it matches the quotation marks you put in the English
translation. You apparently don't think you are a real guest and
you don't think we are a real group. You are entitled to that
opinion. If there's some other meaning you intended, explain
yourself better.

> For {lI' QInvam}, I couldn't find the verb "important" in TKD or
> KGT. Is there such a word in Klingon? Also, for {mebqoq}, I was looking for
> the word "member", but all I came up with was "guest".

As others pointed out, {potlh} is "be important", but in this
case, {lI'} works fine. You consider it to be useful. This works
for me. It is similar to how Valkris used it in ST3. "You will
find it useful for the mission." Though they left out "for the
mission" from the subtitle. More accurately, the line was spoken
in English, then redubbed and Okrand had to give her something
else to say to explain why her lips were still moving...

charghwI' 'utlh

Back to archive top level