tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Oct 14 11:09:50 1998

Re: KLBC (qeqchu'wI'ghom)

: ja' charghwI':
: >Group words do not get the "uses language" suffix because the
: >groups are not capable of using language. Only the members of
: >the group can do that.
:
: Do we really know this for sure, or is it just a well-accepted assumption?
:
: -- ghunchu'wI'

We've always assumed this but now, thanks to KGT, we know for sure.  {tuq} "an
ancestral grouping now usually translated as 'house'" (TKW p.34) does not get
the "uses language" suffix:

  pInaDqu' tuqlIj wInaDqu' je
  Glory to you and your house.
  ("We praise you highly; we also praise your house highly") KGT (p.178?)

It's the only clear example with 1st or 2nd person possessive suffixes on
"group words" I could find; this distinction isn't made in the 3rd person.
Can
anyone think of another?

 Voragh
"Grammatici certant et adhuc sub judice
 Ca'Non Master of the Klingons                              lis est."
       Horace (Ars Poetica)

Back to archive top level