tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Oct 12 19:41:20 1998

Re: KLBC new to the list

ja' Qov:
>Checking section 3.4 for word order in constructions with two nouns,
>you can see that a teller of stories could be /lut ja'wI'/...
>As a side note, in the examples we have seen in the books, etcetera,
>the object of the verb /ja'/ is the person spoken to.  The verb that
>takes as its object the thing spoken is /jatlh/.  So it looks like
>while we "say" a story, Klingons "speak" one.  I don't think this
>prevents thi particular use of /ja'/, as /lut/ isn't its object.

We actually have a canon example on Skybox card S8, Klingon Sword of Honor,
that uses {ja'} in this way.  The relevant phrase is "According to Klingon
legend..." with the Klingon text {nuja' tlhIngan wIch ja'wI'pu'...}, which
literally says "Klingon myth tellers tell us..."

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level