tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Oct 10 12:08:50 1998

Re: KLBC new to the list

Ordinarily only the current BG, pagh, may answer KLBCs (and it looks
like he overlooked your note the first time you posted it) but I just
got a note from him that he's away for a few days and that I may deal
with KLBCs that seem to be going unanswered. I'm a former BG.

lab R. Covey:
> I am fairly new to the list. tlhnIngan Hol vIjatlhlaHbe' ,tho I am
> trying to learn to speak thlnIngan Hol. This is my first posting to
> the list.

Watch your spelling.  It's /tlhIngan/.

> I do have a copy of TKD as well as KGT and the Klingon Way.

More than I started with. :)  That should get you going, if not
overload you!

> I would like to introduce myself,I am QaneS.
> I looked throughout the books I have as well as searhed through the
> tapes (CK and PK) and have not found a term for storyteller,in the
> sense of a bard of poet.

Consider /bom/ and the augmented meaning of /qon/.
> So I have attempted to extrapolate a
> thlnIngan term based on what I can find and the little that I know.
My
> attempt is as follows:

> lutwI'ja' teller of a story (ie:a bard,or poet)
> Is this on the right track? Or way off?

You have there /lut/ - story, the verb suffix /-wI'/ - one who is, one
who does and the verb /ja'/ - tell, report.  A good start.  Lets
polish it up.

A verb suffix (a) must be used on verb and (b) must be attacked to the
end of the verb.  /lut/ is a noun.  Add /-wI'/ to the verb /ja'/ and
you get /ja'wI'/ "one who tells; one who reports; teller."

Checking section 3.4 for word order in constructions with two nouns,
you can see that a teller of stories could be /lut ja'wI'/.  If you're
thinking of using this for your actual list name, see what the FAQ has
to say about names at
http://labs.thomtech.com/~dspeers/klingon/faq.htm#2.2 and what I said
last week to someone else at
/tlhIngan-Hol/current/0060.html

As a side note, in the examples we have seen in the books, etcetera,
the object of the verb /ja'/ is the person spoken to.  The verb that
takes as its object the thing spoken is /jatlh/.  So it looks like
while we "say" a story, Klingons "speak" one.  I don't think this
prevents thi particular use of /ja'/, as /lut/ isn't its object.
==
Qov - pab 'utlh