tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Oct 12 07:09:29 1998

Re: New to the mailing list.

On Sun, 11 Oct 1998 19:40:20 -0700 (PDT) Ti-Lyn Soh
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Hello.. I'm not even sure if this is the right way to do things.. but I
> guess I'll find out. :)
>
> I'm a 2nd year university student in University of Western Australia, and
> I'm currently doing a linguitics course in comparative linguistics. The
> reason I joined this mailing list, is becos of a suggestion of a friend to
> do my assignment on Klingon. I have a linguistic assignment on the syntax
> of a language, as compared to English. So, thinking that Klingon is a
> really interesting language, I would greatly appreciate any help I can get
> from the speakers out there in the wide world of the web. :) I've broused
> briefly thru the klingon language institute page, and can only find a few
> sites on Yahoo on it. If anyone has anymore sites that can help me in
> terms of syntax, I would love to hear from you.

You have not indicated yet whether or not you have gotten The
Klingon Dictionary (TKD). While you may get help from this list
and from various Web sites, nothing will help you as much as the
published works by Okrand. If you've already been to the KLI
site, you already have access to the list of these publications
and to how to purchase them.

Most important is TKD. Next to that, is Klingon for the Galactic
Traveler (KGT). In fills in some grammatical gaps in
describing dialects and jargon and contains the second
vocabulary installment (after the two word lists in TKD). The
audio tapes are good for pronunciation and entertainment, though
they won't help you much for syntax. The other book (The Klingon
Way) is great for seeing examples of Klingon sentences, but it
doesn't give you any explicit descriptions of the grammar.

Paperback books may not be as sexy as Web pages, but the
material you'll get from these publications is a lot more
comprehensive than anything you'll get anywhere else.

> Well.. thanks for your time and hope to hear from someone soon!
>

> 				always
> 				 lyn
>
> 		   "Je l'attendais pour enfin vivre
> 		         En donnant mon tour.."