tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Oct 10 05:37:00 1998

RE: yuchmey

lab K'ryntes:

> yuchmey jIleghpu'. SIbI' luSoplu'.

> This is the first thing I wrote without consulting references! :D
> Except for the -pu'. I wasn't sure if I needed that since the second
> sentence would show that it had already happened.

Nothing in the sentence shows that the actions are in the past.  This could be:

I have seen chocolates.  One immediately eats them.
I will have seen chocolates.  One will immediately eat them.
I had seen chocolates.  One immediately ate them.

lab pagh:

> The <-pu'> is not necessary, and doesn't fit with your meaning. If you
> include the <-pu'>, you were done seeing the chocolates by the time people
> ate them, which is not what you want.

teHqu'.

> yuch vIlegh. SIbI' Soplu'.

Note that this sentence too does not distinguish among a prediction of the
future, a general statement, or a report of the past.  When it's important
to you WHEN something happened in Klingon, you have to SAY when.

DaH KLBCmey vIlaDbe' jIjatlhpu', 'ach loQ jInep. :)

Qov     [email protected]
Now on ICQ: 12235599

Back to archive top level