tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat May 16 20:15:20 1998

Re: A Matter of Honor

>>BUT - is there a MO distinction between <quv> and <batlh> in their
>>nominal use? I don't recall one ... [snip]
>
>Hmm... in the novelization of "All Good Things", Worf was thinking at one
>point that it was rather strange that Klingon only had one word for honor,
>{batlh}, which could mean everything from honorable conduct of a judge to
>honor between friends, while Eskimo had so many words for "snow."
>  [snip]
>This is wrong of course, but perhaps there is some type of distinction
>along those lines between {batlh} and {quv}.
>
>qoror

Novelist Friedman may have had the first (1985) edition of TKD which only
lists "honor" (n) {batlh} in the English-Klingon vocabulary.  "Honor" (n)
{quv} was added to the 2nd (1992) edition -- along with the verbs "honor"
{quv} and "be honored" {quvmoH}.  Or, like many people, perhaps he forgot
to check the Addendum when looking up the word.

OTOH, Worf may have simply been wrong in the novel.  He was raised from
childhood among Humans after all.  Just how good is Worf's Klingon?  Or
B'Elanna or K'Ehleyr too, come to think of it.  I wonder if any of them
have a Terran accent?  That would explain Dorn and Dawson's pronunciation
on The Klingon Way audiocassette.  ;-)

Voragh

Back to archive top level