tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun May 10 19:16:40 1998

Re: Another short story... KLBC

Message text written by INTERNET:[email protected]
>BUT - is there a MO distinction between <quv> and <batlh> in their nominal
>use? I don't recall one, but if I am wrong, this suggestion might be
>incorrect.

Hmm... in the novelization of "All Good Things", Worf was thinking at one
point that it was rather strange that Klingon only had one word for honor,
{batlh}, which could mean everything from honorable conduct of a judge to
honor between friends, while Eskimo had so many words for "snow."  (For the
record, I'd like to give Michael Jan Friedman honorable mention for using a
good deal of Klingon in his works.  He also did "Kahless", which has a
number of phrases significantly better than the Klingon in "A Matter of
Honor.")  This is wrong of course, but perhaps there is some type of
distinction along those lines between {batlh} and {quv}.

Qapla'
qoror

Back to archive top level