tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu May 14 23:27:39 1998

Re: Schoolbook

In a message dated 98-05-14 14:36:04 EDT, vavoy writes:

<< Way back in the first year of HolQeD (I think) we published an outline of
 the lessons used in a college course on Klingon. I've picked up several
 other people's attempts over the years. I have not seen what peHruS is
 using (hint: Daniel, please send a copy my way for inclusion int he KLI's
 Archive), but typically there's a great deal of overlap.

Dear Dr. Schoen,

I just posted Lesson 1 "Greetings".  If this receives favorable response, I
shall begin posting the lessons as hyperlinked web pages.

I will also send you a hard copy of the entire textbook, now at 154 pages.  We
have had 55 students, only 17 of whom have made it through at least 10
lessons, only 2 of whom have completed the entire textbook.  These two
students are Gary and Amy Nelson and they have become quite fluent (which has
really helped me and my housemate become a lot more fluent; it's great to have
people with whom to practice).  The overall group is known as House Vesqa,
with a total of 238 members.  As we have been developing our classes, we have
adapted many times to conclusions drawn among members of this listserv.  For
example, we do not teach QAO, even if they are acceptable; we have changed
from using {jeS} and {qIm} transitively; we have corrected ourselves whenever
new information comes out.

It has been a tempering process.  But, all in all, our comprehension of the
language has improved radically through all the discussions on this listserv.

peHruS

Back to archive top level