tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu May 14 22:58:52 1998

Textbook

Lesson 1     Greetings

jatlh mogh     Qapla'
jatlh Qang     nuqneH     nuq DaneH
jatlh mogh     betleH vIneHbej
jatlh Qang     betleH vIghajbej     HItlhej
jatlh mogh     vIje'bej
jatlh Qang     DaH yIDIl

Vocabulary:
Qapla'     success, hello, good-bye (exclamation)
nuqneH     Hello, Whaddya want? (exclamation)
nuq     what? (question word)
neH     wants (verb)
jatlh     speaks, says (verb)
vI-     I - him, her, it, them
Da-     you (singular) - him, her, it, them
ghaj     has, owns, possesses (verb)
tlhej     accompanies, comes with, goes with (verb)
HI-     do it to me! (verb prefix, imperative)
yI-     do it to him, her, it (verb prefix, imperative)
je'     buys, purchases (verb)
DaH     now (adverb)
DIl     pays, pays for (verb)
betleH     Klingon blade of honor (noun)
-bej     definitely (verb suffix, type 6)

Grammar Notes:  Klingon sentences have the word order Object + Verb + Subject.
Klingon does not have Articles:  a, an, the.  Klingons do not discriminate
gender.

Adverbs come before the entire basic sentence.

Klingon Verbs take many different prefixes which indicate who is doing the
action of the Verb to whom.  Examples:  betleH vIje' means "I buy a blade."
Qang vItlhej means "I accompany Kang."  Notice that the vI- part always
translates as "I" and that there is always an Object (Predicate), even if only
implied, no matter onto which Verb we attach it.  Use of vI- is called first-
person singular, taking an object.  betleH Daje' means "You buy a blade."
Qang Datlhej means "You accompany Kang."  Again, notice that the Da- part
always translates as "You (singular)" do the action of the Verb and that there
is always an Object (Predicate), even if only implied, no matter onto which
Verb we attach it.  Use of Da- is called second-person singular, taking an
object.  betleH je' mogh means "Mogh buys a blade."  Notice that there is no
Pronoun Verb prefix at all.  This occurs when the third-person singular takes
an object.  This situation holds true when the third-person singular does not
take an object, also.

Besides the Verb prefixes which state who is doing the action to whom, Klingon
Verbs may take prefixes which indicate the imperative, commanding someone to
do the action to someone else.  Qang yItlhej means "Accompany Kang!"  We could
have translated this as "Go with Kang!"  betlheH yIje' means "Buy the blade!"
HItlhej means "Accompany me!  Come with me!"

Klingon Verbs can take nine different types of suffixes, which change the
meaning of the Verb.  These suffixes must be attached in the numerical order
of their type, with holes in the order allowed.  No more than one suffix of
the same type may be attached to one Verb stem.  Here we encounter only the
Verb Suffix, Type 6, -bej.  It means that the Subject "definitely" will carry
out the action of the Verb.  Klingons culturally normally say "I definitely
want to......" and "We definitely want to......"

Additional Vocabulary:
paq     book (noun)
nav     paper (noun)
Soj     food (noun)
loD     man, male (noun)
be'     woman, female (noun)
puq     child, offspring (noun)

Drill:  paq vIneHbej     nav vIneHbej     Soj vIneHbej     paq DaneH     nav
DaneH
Soj DaneH     paq neH loD     paq neH be'     paq neH puq     paq neH mogh
paq neH Qang     nav neH loD     nav neH be'     nav neH puq     nav neHbej
mogh
nav neHbej Qang     loD tlhej be'     puq vItlhej     puq Datlhej     puq
yItlhej
HItlhej

Translate into Klingon, using only the grammar introduced so far:

I buy a book.  You buy paper.  The man buys food.  The woman buys a blade.
The child accompanies the man.  The child accompanies the woman.  Mogh
accompanies Kang.  Kang says:  "Come with me!"  Mogh says:  "Buy the paper!
Buy the food!"  The child says:  "Pay now!"  The woman accompanies the man
now.  The child buys the food now.  The man has a book.  The woman has a
child.  The child owns paper.  Mogh definitely wants a blade.  Kang definitely
buys the food.

Back to archive top level