tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue May 12 16:23:38 1998

Re: KLBC parmaqay

At 12:10 98-05-12 -0700, lot'Har wrote:
} Sei gegruesst, Qov!
}
lot'Har:
}>}"You do honor to me by being my parmaqay"
}>}batlh chonobbej parmaqaylI''e' choSuDta'mo'

Qov:
}>"You do give me honour your very lover because you have gambled me."
}>It really needs to be two quite simple phrases.  "You are my lover" and "you

lot'Har
}I did not mean to say that.
}Qoch
}You may be grammatically correct, but your sentence has not the same
}"heart"
}I am targeting at.
}I am not talking about just love. I talk about parmaq!   ;-))
}(Means I dont want to miss that word..)

Sorry, I read what you wanted to say, cached it in my brain as concepts not
words while I pointed out the problems will your version, then regenerated
the concept with different words.  I normally use the word {bang} not
{parmaqqay} to refer to my beloved.

}choquvmoH parmqaylI' jIHmo'

This means, with the typo corrected, "you honour me your parmaq because of me"

You've made the same possessive errortice.  Is there some logic behind
saying "your" in Klingon and "my" in English that I am not understanding?
P.S. after reading the end: ok I now see what you were doing, but I couldn't
guess this from the original information.

}>I think you used the {-'e'} suffix above in an attempt to copy another to-be
}>structure, but you could use it for meaning here:
}No I mistake it to make parmaqay as the sentences topic.

}>bangwI''e' SoHmo' choquvmoH - "You honour me because you are my *lover*."
}>If that's what you meant.
}No, sorry.
}What I mean is: "You do honor to me by choosing me as parmaqay."

Figure out what you mean and all you have to do is say what you mean:

parmaqaylI'vaD jIH chowIvmo' choquvmoH

You honour me because you choose *me* for your parmaqay.

Qov     [email protected]
Now on ICQ: 12235599

Back to archive top level