tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue May 12 16:59:54 1998

RE: KLBC parmaqay

lot'HarvaD jang Qov:

>}What I mean is: "You do honor to me by choosing me as parmaqay."
>
>Figure out what you mean and all you have to do is say what you mean:
>
>parmaqaylI'vaD jIH chowIvmo' choquvmoH
>
>You honour me because you choose *me* for your parmaqay.

I think you are falling a bit into an Englishism here. The word "for" is
much more slippery than the Klingon {-vaD} - it can mean lots of things.
The only way I can reconcile the {-vaD} is that you have done some sort
of choosing for the benefit of your parmaqay, and that you have chosen
me. Maybe you chose me to be his/her plumber; I don't really know. I
cannot make it mean that you have chosen me to *become* your parmaqay.
Here's what I suggest:

parmaqaylI' vImoj 'e' DawIvmo' choquvmoH.

pagh

Back to archive top level