tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri May 01 09:02:40 1998

Re: Hech (was SaqaD)

: {Hech} is defined as "intend, mean to."  It has always been seen with {'e'}
: as its object.  This definition and set of examples shows that it should not
: be used for "I meant [some word]," but rather "I meant to do [action]."
:
: To say what you're saying, it'd have to be phrased as
:    <Soj pa'> bIjatlh 'e' DaHech'a'?
:    Did you inted to say {Soj pa'}?
: You might also find a few nouns suitable as the object of this verb.  For
: instance,
:    tojchu'ghach vIHech.
:    I intend complete deception.
: This sort of usage is speculative, and not supported in canon, but the noun
: represents an action.
:
: SuStel

Not that I disagree with you, but since there are only two examples of
{Hech} in canon, "always" may be a bit strong:

  Hem tlhIngan Segh 'ej maHemtaH 'e' wIHech
  Klingons are a proud race, and we intend to go on being proud. TKW

  Ha'DIbaH DaSop 'e' DaHechbe'chugh yIHoHQo'
  Do not kill an animal unless you intend to eat it. TKW

Voragh

Back to archive top level