tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jul 16 13:24:33 1998

Re: KLBC: vIghro' HoHpu'bogh

ja' Qov:

> ---Christiane Scharf  wrote:
> >
> > ja' Qov:

> > > ravDuj?  You're giving me the image of a vehicle constructed out of
> > > linoleum. :)  Look up /ghor/ and /yav/. Are you talking about a
> > > dirtbike or a car?
> >
> > HIvqa' veqlargh! {yav} vIjatlh 'e' vIHech.

> > > wIlegh.
> >
> > Actually I wanted {HoHlu'pu'bogh}. I forgot the {-lu'}. The same
> applies
> > for the subject line.
>
> I read that, not noticing your omission. Glad you caught yourself.
> Speaking of the subject line, is KLBC a verb for you?

Klingon is a Little Bit Complicated...

> > > If you're saying here that "It must have died" or "it had to be
> dead,"
> > > meaning that because of the flattened brainpan there was no chance
> of
> > > it being alive, then I think you attributing the wrong meaning to
> > > /-nIS/.  /-nIS/ implies obligation, need.  /HeghnISpu'/ is a
> statement
> > > about fated events, like "It had to die" or "it needed to die."  Try
> > > /Heghbejpu'/ if you're making a statement about your certainty
> that it
> > > was dead.
> >
> > I indeed meant <It had had to die>.
>
> I don't understand. Are you making a statement about fate, then?

Kind of. The cat had had to die. It was its fate to die so young. What's so
strange about that sentence?

> Why
> did it have to die?
>
> > > Do'Ha'.  Duj HeDaq reHbe'nIS Sajmey.   SajlIj yIQorgh.

> > Qatlhqu' Qu'vam. vIghro' SeHlu' 'e' chaw'be' vIghro'.
>
> bIlughchu'!  ghaytan vIghro'vaD Hegh qaq law' mo' qaq puS.

vIghro'vaD HeghHey 'oH mo''e'. reH tlhab neH vIghro'. tlhabchugh vIghro',
vIghro'vaD QobchoH ghu'. tlhabbe'chugh vIghro', *furniture*vaD QobchoH ghu'.