tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jul 15 19:33:00 1998

Re: KLBC - pabwIj vIlughmoH 'ej mu'tlheghmey chu' vIqon

ja' Qov:
>tlhIngan jIH - I am a Klingon (no added emphasis)
>tlhIngan jIH'e' - *I* am a Klingon.

Um, can we do this?  TKD 6.3, page 67, uses {tlhIngan jIH} as an
example, but the paragraph immediately before the example says:

: On the other hand, all pronouns (section 5.1) can be used as
: verbs, in the sense /I am, you are,/ etc.

The pronouns are used as *verbs*.  A noun suffix doesn't go on verbs.
On the next page, talking about "to be at a place", we read:

: Again, the pronouns are used, followed, where appropriate, by
: verbal suffixes.

Noun suffixes are not appropriate.

Maybe to emphasize the "I" in {tlhIngan jIH}, one says
{tlhIngan jIH jIH}.  Or maybe not.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level