tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jul 15 15:44:48 1998

Re: KLBC - pabwIj vIlughmoH 'ej mu'tlheghmey chu' vIqon

---Burt Clawson  wrote:

> KLBC - 'e'
>
> Robyn Stewart wrote:
>
> > ---Burt Clawson  wrote:
> >

> > > ghobe'.  Sov'a' jupma' pagh'e'?  "No.  Does our friend Pagh know?"
> >

> > Hmm.  Please answer this.  Why did you put /-'e'/ on /pagh/?  Do you
> > believe it is required there?  It's not necessarily wrong, it's just
> > that you use /-'e'/ a lot and I want to make sure you know what you
> > are doing with it.
> >

> I'm not quite clear on how to use 'e' properly.  I realize that it
is not
> required on a pronoun at the end of a sentence, it has just been
working out
> that way.  When I use 'e' it is to put emphasis on it, I don't
understand
> how it used otherwise (though it seems clear that it is required in
certain
> sentence structures.)

It is only _required_ in the prounoun as to be (PTB) linking two noun
phrases, as in /baS gho 'oH Qeb'e'/.

It is recommended on the head noun of ambiguous relative clauses, like:

be' HoHbogh loD vImuS

Do I hate the man who killed the woman, or do I hate the woman he
killed?

All other uses are just for emphasis.

>  jIH'e' = "ME ME ME and no one else!"

Be aware that just including jIH when it isn't required already has a
certain emphasis.

jIDoy' - I'm tired
jIDoy' jIH - As for me, I'm tired.
jIDoy' jIH'e' - "ME ME ME *I* am tired." --  kind of overkill

but

tlhIngan jIH - I am a Klingon (no added emphasis)
tlhIngan jIH'e' - *I* am a Klingon.

> ghaH'e' in my
> sentence about the Romulan ambassador = "I accidentally served [him]
dead
> qagh, but HE {the idiot} never noticed it."

Good, that works.  HE (as opposed to any Klingon with half a brain)
never noticed it.

  I used it in this last
> sentence, because I wanted to make sure everyone realized I was
talking
> about Pagh, frequent stand-in for the BG, rather than pagh, no one,
zero,
> nothing.

Ok, good.  I might have used it in the same way in the same sentence.
It worked there.  I wanted to be sure it was intention not coincidence.

Okrand doesnt use /-'e'/ for emphasis very much.  If your personal
style uses a lot of exclamation points and caps, then your Klingon
might have more /-'e'/s.  I use it more than most people.  But *I*
_like_ EMPHASIZING things. :P

==
Qov - Beginners' Grammarian