tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jul 15 15:42:52 1998

Re: Question from a newbie

Greetings from the worlds worst Correspondant
  ALL SKI, all of the time:

---David Trimboli  wrote:
> You[?] wrote:
>
> >I also showed Marc my notes about the old klingon number system he
> mentioned
> >in TKD. He comfirmed my findings. I can add, subtract, multiply and
divide
> >in the ancient way.
> >He said he will think about the terminology and grammer to use in
> >mathematical operations.
>
> This simply says that he told YOU something, and you've decided to
interpret
> for us.  So far as I can tell, you're speculating.  I like the ternary
> counting system myself, but you haven't really told us what Okrand
said.

> Please tell us what he said, and not what it means.  I'd like to
draw my own
> conclusions.

In this RARE (I presume this, having only met two times. Although this
four day exposure was very enlightening) instance, MO clearly said
"yes, that works"and said something to the effect that he though t
DloraH could forward it to him for review. Yes, that's a lot like the
"...interesting, I'll think about it..." The phrase, "that works"(with
both suprise and interest, sans his usual clever {evil} seems to imply
it is valid if not Ca'non.

lab Qov:
MO has a disconcertingly slippery way of making all his listeners go
away thinking they've heard what they wanted to hear.  You mention
something to him and he rarely says, "no, it doesn't work that way."
He'll smile and say, "It's interesting, isn't it?"  "It could work
that way."  "Something like that."  "In a way."  It takes you a while,
even being really objective to realize that he hasn't given you any
information at all. If you have some pet theory you walk away certain
it's confirmed.  I imagine when he's dealing with fans proudly
speaking Paramount Hol it allows him to be friendly and avoid having
to say, "You have no clue."

Yes, on the other hand he really likes to zing it to those of us on
the verge: When he walked outside at Praxis, only his traveling
companion, DloraH, and I were within earshot. He looked up suddenly,
held up his hand, and said (sharply) SIS! Then he got the wickedest
grin (absolutely ear to ear),  and gave us a sidelong glance.
He KNEW that this (weather descriptions) had been bouncing around the
list in the recent weeks.
DloraH at least had the composure to wait until we got  back inside to
grill Marc.
I'm still trying to get my basic vocab down!

[Yes, I'm still going over my Database, trying to find out why voragh
& gunchu'wI' have fewer words in thiers. Don't hold your breath. I
gave a copy of my list to Marc, for reference purposes only. He would
probably only use a list provided by voragh Ca'non joH anyway]

The only clear Statement of Fact MO made at Praxis (in my presence)
was after a very informal class/discussion (given as a part of the
Con) was a very firm denial of the QAO sentance. This was unequivocal.
I know Lawrence was there, but he may have been distracted at that
moment by a (potential) new member. Marcs only consession was that
there might be an adverbial aspect that could be worked in. This was,
however, another of the "that's an interesting idea", evasions. It
does leave us an opening we can run a {toQDuj vegh} truck thru...

C U at the qep'a'

==

{nuq, vISaH?} "What, me worry?"