tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jul 07 07:58:18 1998

Doqbe' Sudbe' Hurghbe' chISbe' je 'oH

ja' Quvar muHwI':
> Marc Okrand frequently says things like "There is no Klingon word for
xyz,
> but..." e.g. "to be" and "violet"

Many languages don't use "to be"  (The only example I can think of right
now
is Russian, which doesn't use "to be" in the present tense: Ya glupi, "I
am
foolish," Ya bolshoi, "I am large.")

{KGT pgs. 82-83} Suggests that Klingon physiology may prevent them from
seeing the color "purple" or "violet."  Perhaps Klingons cannot see as
far into the violet spectrum as Humans can.  Much like certain insects
can see shades of ultraviolet, and can see patterns on some flowers that
Humans cannot for that reason.  If that were true of Klingons, Humans
could hide visual information simply by writing in purple on a white
background (as long as the intensity of each were equal.)

Hmmmmm....

- tuv'el pach puqloD

Back to archive top level