tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jul 07 07:54:18 1998

Re: Question from a newbie

At 05:18 PM 7/6/98 -0700, DloraH wrote:

>We didn't say that nothing holds places.  its just that [zero] can't hold a
>place.  A value of something is needed to hold a place.
>the number 10 in base 3... that first digit is equal to the value of 3. The
>zero merely keeps it in that position.
>  Well since klingon doesn't use zero as a place holder what keeps that 1 in
>the first position? nothing.  So it drops over to the second position with
>the equivalent value of 3.
>  Think of hexidecimal, but only go to A and don't use zero.
>1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  A  11  12  ...  19  1A  21  22  etc

toH!  DloraH QIn vIlaDta'DI', mI' patvam vIyajlaHbe'.  'ach vInIDtaH.
pay' paw yajtaHghach!  DaH mI' patvam vIyajchu'!  Dunqu'.  'IHqu'.
Hujqu'.  DloraH, choDuQ!

SKI: ter'eS has a mathematical epiphany.

-- ter'eS

Back to archive top level