tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 06 19:38:38 1998

Re: -Curses

mujang SuStel:
>>I'm sure they're nouns.  In English, an epithet is a name, and a name is
>>used as a noun.  On Star Trek, we've heard it said that someone "...speaks
>>the lies of a {taHqeq}."  That's a noun for sure.
>
>On Star Trek, we've heard a lot of complete jibberish.  I'd hardly look to
>Star Trek TV for answer to grammatical questions like this one.

Then you shouldn't look to Star Trek TV for the proper usage of time words,
should you? :-P

Seriously, Okrand labeled them as "Epithets" on page 178.  That's a term
with a specific grammatical meaning, and I'm going to use them that way.

>Ignoring the talk about Star Trek episodes (we all know how closely they
>follow TKD), this is the first good evidence pointing towards epithets being
>used as nouns: the fact that nouns may be used as epithets.

*Ahem*

Epithets *are* used as nouns.  Even when an epithet is actually an adjectival
phrase like "the well-off", it's used as a noun in a sentence.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level