tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jul 03 18:40:43 1998

Re: KLBC

---Paul Gibbons <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hi everyone - more beginners drivel - well, got to
> start somewhere!

taghwI' Dapqoq vItIv.

> jIDoy'taH 'ach jIQonglaHbe'
> I am tired but I can't sleep

majQa'.

> QongDaqwIj(Daq?) jIQottaH ej jIbuStaH
> I am lying in my bed, thinking

{QongDaqwIjDaq} is required.  You would even say {QongDaqDaq} for "in
the bed."  Someone (charghwI'} once wrote, to my great amusement,
"Let's say that by accident, the timing is such that one overhears
snoring...

QongDaqDaq QongDI' QongwI', bong DaqDaq DaqlI' DaqwI'."

I'd just joined the list and was easily amused.

{'ej} is a three-letter word, just like its English translation.
Don't neglect {'} just because it is small.

Your sentence can mean "I'm lying in my bed and I'm thinking."  I'd
translate, "I'm lying in my bed, thinking," as "QongDaqwIjDaq
jIQottaH, jIQubtaHvIS."

Ah.  {buS} may be transitive only.  Note that it means "think only
about" "focus on."  To use a verb with no object, try {Qub} or {qIm}.

> wa'leS DuSaqDaq vIchegh
> Tomorrow I go back to school

The word is {DuSaQ}.  {DuSaq} means "it lands you," whatever that
means.  A noun in {-Daq} is not the object of a verb, so {jIchegh} not
{vIchegh}.

> qaD tIn vIghaj ej jIQapnIS
> I have a big test and I need to pass

{potlh} might be more appropriate than {tIn} here.  Is the test
physically large?  You've misspelled {'ej} again.  "Have a test" is an
idiom.  Some languages "sit" or "write" or "pass" the exam.
Personally I'd use {SIQnIS}. :)

> qaStaHvIS jaj Hoch tlhIngan Hol vIghItlh vIneH 'ach > mu'mey
vIbuSlaHbe'

Here {qaw} is a better choice than {buS}.  Read through the vocabulary
and see how many other verbs there are for similar concepts.

> I couldn't think of anything to write all day
> (loose tranlation)

> 'ach DaH jIqong vInIDtaH, jIQublaHchu'
> But now I am trying to sleep, I can think more
> clearly

Qong, not qong.  Reread section 6.2.5 and see that for {jIQong} to be
the object of {vInID} you need to use the pronoun {'e'}, but you may
not use the suffix
{-taH}.  This presents a problem in correcting the rest of the sentence.

I'd say,

'ach DaH jIQongtaH 'e' vInIDDI' jIQublaHchu'.

See, your sentence in English implies "now [when] I am trying to sleep
..."  In Klingon you can't have two verbs in the same clause unless
one has a type 9 suffix other than {-'a'}.  Am I being convoluted?
Your sentence needs one main verb.

Read about type 9 verb suffixes, and ask me questions if this isn't
clear, which I suspect it isn't.  wep je'nISmo' loDnalwI' QInvam
vIchenmoHtaHvIS muloS.  jImoD 'e' vInID.

> wa'les jIDoy'qa'bej
> tomorrow I will be tired again!

wa'leS

> rut yIn ngeDbe'
> Such is life (loose translation)

Misplaced verb.
{yIn ngeDbe'} "not easy life"
{ngeDbe' yIn} "life is not easy"

bIyaj'a'?

> maswov

maSwov.  Ah, SoH.  I didn't look to see whose work I was correcting
before I started work.  Didn't recognize you.  You're making new and
different errors.  Definite sign of progress. :)

Suggestions for when you can't think of what to write: write a
synopsis of any Star Trek episode, or tell us about an event in the
history of your city.  When you are summarizing a big story you can
pick and choose the events that you can find vocabulary to match.
Another suggestion is to page through TKD and write things that the
vocabulary or grammar inspires you to.  Easier than getting an idea in
English and hunting for Klingon to express it.